Tips To Prevent Electrical Fire In Your Home
Your family’s safety might be threatened if an electrical fire breaks out. But did you know that timely action can prevent an electrical fire from happening in the first place! Today we are going to discuss some tips which can help in the prevention of electrical fire:
- Heat-generating appliances might get overheated when left unattended for an extended period. Such accidents might also happen if these devices malfunction. This is why, it is always advised to unplug hot appliances such as irons, curling wands, kettles, toasters, etc. when not in use.
- The third prong or ground on a power cord is meant to act as a layer of protection in the event of an electrical malfunction or power surge. You should never make the mistake of cutting off the same. Houses having two-prong outlets can schedule an appointment with their electrician who will update the same to three-prong ones.
- Extension cords are meant to be temporary solutions. Often, we end up using them over prolonged periods and this increases the chances of electrical fires. Ideally, you should seek out the services of an electrician who can provide a safe and permanent solution to your power requirements.
- Just like the electrical devices, its power cords might also degrade over time. You need to repair them as and when the power cord becomes loose, frayed, or cracked.
- All the electrical appliances you purchase for home use come with their own set of directions. But we rarely go through the instruction manuals of devices like toasters or microwaves. However, it is always advisable to go through the directions in detail and take note of all warnings which can prevent the occurrence of an electrical malfunction.
- Having your electrical wiring checked on a routine basis can be of great help in preventing electrical fires from occurring. Wiring comes with a specific lifespan and you need to schedule a wiring replacement with your electrician after every 10 years. Loose connections at circuit breakers are also a big cause of resistive heating and electrical fires.
- There is an upper limit on the amount of electricity our home electrical circuits can offer to each outlet at a time. Thus, overloading an outlet might lead to sudden sparks and ultimately an electrical fire. In such cases, you can implement a surge protector to shield all your home appliances from the danger of a power surge.
- Installing a light bulb having higher wattage compared to the light fixture can lead to an electrical fire. This is why it is recommended to check the recommended bulb wattage. Also, you should make it a point to avoid placing any other material over the lampshade or light bulbs.
Despite being cautious, accidents might break out in the worst cases. However, on noticing any of these above-mentioned signs, you need to contact your electrician at the earliest so that he can advise you further regarding prevention tips. Having insurance coverage can also guarantee you complete peace of mind on the happening of an unfortunate event.